Class was cancelled this week as the instructor was ill.
I did manage to get my homework done however - with varying embroidery stitches & thicknesses, and some white beads added around the neckline on the dress.
This piece was a bit hard to scan as I used a lot of white thread, on a whitish background, but I think the outline shows up adequately here and also some of the shadow lines.
Will I use handmade Tibetan paper again? You bet. It looks delicate but is in fact quite strong, and I found I enjoyed working with it.
Perhaps I have been overly ambitious.
We started our first project in class yesterday doing a contour drawing of an item of our choice, then learning techniques to embroider the drawing on paper. We are using Tibetan paper which is very thin and translucent but quite strong and fibrous. It wrinkles easily but can be ironed later.
Clearly this is a work in progress. The bits in light blue are my working drawing. These lines will get washed out once the project is complete. The dark lines are what I have completed so far in thread.
Out of interest, the dress and suit are from my parent's wedding photo, taken almost 52 years ago.
I have no idea how long this will take to complete. It's now homework as we move to another project next week, but I am not alone as everyone in the class was quite ambitious. We did promise to bring in this project once it's done and I will continue to post updates as I work on this piece.
We didn't actually start to make anything at yesterday's class, but there was lots of information and discussion and sharing. The instructor and the women taking the class have an amazing variety of experience. I just know this is going to be a great experience.
And with a bit of homework assigned to gather the needed supplies and to come up with ideas for what we'll work on over the coming weeks, what I'll be learning should fit just fine with the plan for my next book idea which, until yesterday, had not quite come together. But more on that another day.
In the meantime I'm playing with distressing fabric to make a background for one of the projects, and which I hope to include in said book. Forget using tea to distress fabric, walnut ink seems to be working out extremely well. It certainly has more punch than tea. Glad I had tried this on my letter "D".
I chose a theme for 2013 - Connections - and made lots of new connections, connecting with people and connecting the dots. My theme for 2014 is Innovation. And I'm already starting to see it being realized.
Here's to 2014!
Awakening the heart
Artist - Anne Warburton
& add this blog to your RSS Reader with this link:
Or email me:
It's taken years to discover the medium I enjoy the most. And how what I have learned before somehow fits into what I am doing now. Even when I travel my needles and threads are with me so I can continue to create while away.